In 2009, all our playgrounds and hall were given names that reflect St Finbar’s history.
The ‘THOMAS SHERRY’ PlaygroundIn June 1848, Thomas Sherry aged 29 accompanied by his wife Eliza, became the first teacher of St Finbar’s school (then known as St Patrick’s). This was his first teaching appointment. Previously he had been employed as a printer. In the middle of 1851, Thomas Sherry resigned and it is thought he left to fossick for gold.
The Thomas Sherry playground is located in the area close to Nepean highway and St Finbar’s Hall building. In 2009, this area was developed as an adventure playground, as well as a place where children can enjoy shaded lawns and creative play.
The ‘MARY CLARE’ PlaygroundAnna Maria Conroy entered the Presentation Convent at Elsternwick on 21 November, 1884 at the age of 20. She took the name of Sr Mary Clare. In 1924, at the age of about 60, she opened the new school of St Finbar’s at East Brighton and was head teacher until 1931. From 1932, Sr Mary Clare lived at Star of the Sea until her death on 3 January, 1947 at the age of 82 years.
The Mary Clare playground is located at the rear of St Finbar’s School adjacent to the administration and classroom buildings. This area is for children to play big ball games and enjoy a quiet grassed space under the shade of our big old gum tree.
The ‘JOHN ASHE’ PlaygroundFr John Ashe was ordained at All Hallows, Church, Ireland in 1928 and later that year came to Melbourne. In 1940, he became Parish Priest at St Finbar’s East Brighton. He died in 1981.The John Ashe playground is located at the front of St Finbar’s School parallel to Centre Rd. In 2009, it was set up as a Sustainable garden where children enjoy planting seasonal vegetables and quiet. creative.