St Finbar’s Parish, Primary School is situated beside the historic St Finbar’s Church on the corner of Centre Road and Nepean Highway, East Brighton.
Formally known as St Patrick's Parish of Little Brighton, the church was opened in a newly erected weatherboard building on April 30 1848, with Mass. The school shared this building with the church for three months and in June 1848, St Finbar's School was opened in another small, wooden building on the site. With the development of plans for a Melbourne Cathedral, the Archbishop requested that the name Patrick be given to this project; hence St Patrick's Little Brighton took the name of St Finbar's - a truly Irish saint. The weatherboard church and school, ‘the first Catholic Church erected in the suburban area of Melbourne’ have long since disappeared and have been replaced by the present buildings. None of the original buildings remain as many of them were demolished during the 1970s with the widening of Nepean Highway.